Wednesday, July 8, 2009

You did WHAT!

That was my mom's response when I told her that I took my girls to get their ear pierced. This was from a woman who didn't let me pierce my ears until I was 12. Personally, I thought I would wait until each girl was about 5-6 years old to let them get earrings. Ryan said he had no opinion in the matter. However about 2 weeks ago the girls started asking me to get their ears pierced. I am not sure who or what put the idea into their head, it is not like they know a lot of girls who have pierced ears. I told them it would hurt, I pinched theirs, and told them to think about it for a week. I figured it was no big deal. I already help them brush their teeth and wipe their butts, so what if I have to help them clean their ears for 6 weeks. Well, the week came and went, and they were still asking me, so I set a date for over the holiday weekend. On Sunday, we headed to the mall. At the store, there were a couple of other elementary school age girls debating getting their ears pieced. All of the girls watched and 18 year old guy get both ears pierce, which brought on a whole slew of questions of when could Casey get his ears pierced. My answer was not for a very long time. Still undecided, the bigger girls deferred their place in line to Elizabeth and Ava. The girls eagerly picked out their earrings. Elizabeth went with fake diamond, and Ava opted for pink jeweled flowers. Then I asked who was going to go first, each named the other. I thought that was going to be the end. I wasn't going to push the girls into piercing their ears. All of a sudden, Elizabeth told me that she would go first. She hopped up in the chair, but started to cry as they were marking her ears. I think she was a bit anxious about the pain, and the dozen people watching her. I asked her if she still wanted to do it, and she said yes. The store manager handed Elizabeth a lollipop, and the tears stopped. Two workers, two guns, two seconds later... earrings in... 20 seconds later all crying ceased. After seeing Elizabeth cry, even briefly, Ava said that she didn't want to get her ears pierced. I said that she could wait, and started packing up all of our stuff to leave. Then Ava started whining about wanting a lollipop. I told her that the lollipop was part of a package deal with earrings. She started to waver, and said that she wanted earrings and a lollipop. I put her in the chair, and as they were marking her ears, Ava tried to back out again. Knowing Ava, if she didn't go through with this I was going to have to listen to at least another week of whining about lollipops and ear piercing, so I told the ladies to load the guns and just do it. As with Elizabeth, they pierced both of her ears at the same time and she cried less than Elizabeth. She got her lollipop and couldn't be more pleased with her earrings. Both girls are tickled pink about their earrings (Ava complains minimally when I clean them), and they love showing off their sparkly earrings to their teachers, friends, and family. P.S. After Elizabeth and Ava got their ears pierced, one of the older girls followed through.

2 comments:

Lauren Knight said...

What's next, tattoos? Just kidding. They look cute.

Critter said...

Love it!!! Love how you write about these things too!