Sunday, February 19, 2012

February Birthdays

Oma and Opa made the trip to North Carolina to celebrate the birthdays of the first and the (currently) last of their great grand babies.   They saw Elizabeth the day after she was born, but this was their first opportunity to meet Gabriel, and we were so happy to have them with us to celebrate.  Ryan was training for part of the week in VA, but at least we had plenty of cake to save him a piece.


The big number 7 for this Valentine's baby.  Once again, I threw the Valentine's Day party at school in lieu of big party for her and her friends.  One of these day, she might complain that she is getting ripped off, but in the meantime this works really well for me. We did a nice family dinner at home and had a mangled cake. Usually, I leave the baking to Ryan.


Four days later, we celebrated this little guy's first birthday.  Taking after his oldest sister, Gabriel started walking before his 1st birthday. Like his brother, he doesn't have a lot to say at this age. He is adorable when he is not crying, and is a true mama's boy.   He eventually warmed up to the strange folks in the house, but refused to eat his birthday cake.  He missed out, because it was the one cake I can bake flawlessly.  I always use my Grandmother's Angle Food cake pan and it has never failed me. 

The whole week was enjoyable. With a special lunch with the girls at school, a trip to the museum, and swimming lessons. Lots of book reading, Lego building, bracelet making, and car racing. I am so glad that they had this special time to spend with the kids, and that my children have this time to build a relationship with their Great Grandparents.

No comments: