Sunday, March 18, 2012

St. Paddy's Day Skiing

Okay, so it was one of the warmest winters in history. That didn't stop me from teaching the kids how to ski this year.  It was perfect, they didn't complain about it being cold. It wasn't crowded, and the slopes weren't icy. 

Story of my life, Ryan was working, but that didn't stop me from planning a trip with my mother-in-law.  It was both her and my birthday weekend, and more importantly she hadn't had a chance to meet Gabriel yet.  I brought along my good friend Siusan to help balance out the adult to child ratio.  I owe her a huge debt of gratitude. I am sure it was not sure idea of dream ski vacation, but she was huge help to me and the kids.
 
Motley crew of skiers
We checked out Winterplace, WV.  It was a good halfway point and just off the main highway.  I got a great deal on a slope side condo. Which would have been even better if there would have been enough snow on the ground to ski-in and ski-out.  Winterplace provided daycare for Gabe and ski school starting at Age 4, so we convinced Casey to day say that he was 4. That will probably come around to bite me in the butt next month on his actual birthday. 
Ski darts

So graceful

Getting the hang of it

He loved skiing between my legs and going faster.

This guy was all about "ice skating" and the "roller coaster" (skiing and the chair lift).
Lizzy and Ava were cleared to ride the lift solo
All three kids completed two half days of ski school.  Much like swimming, I couldn't get Lizzy off the slopes. Both Ava and Casey enjoyed it and did really well, but were tired by early afternoon and preferred to hang out with Gina-Mom and eat cookies and drink chocolate milk.
Crazy Katie-skiing in shorts!


 It was such a great trip, that when I came back I told Ryan we should buy a ski condo to go along with our beach condo.  This is definitely a family trip to repeat next year.

No comments: