Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Valentine's Day

Well we thought today might have been a double celebration. With contractions 4 minutes apart and other key signs, a trip to the hospital was warranted at 1am in the morning on February 14th. God bless our wonderful neighbors for coming over to watch the kids in the wee hours of the morning. However, after spending 90 minutes in the triage room, my contractions started to taper off. Since I was already past 41 weeks, they were ready to hook me up to pitocin and get my labor rolling again. However, I am not a fan of pitocin and I asked to be released to walk around the hospital to see if I could get my contractions going again. Ryan and I snuck out of the hospital briefly to grab some breakfast at Taco Cabana and then did some stairs and paced the halls of the hospital for another hour but to no avail. No contractions and no progression. Since, I had a Valentine's Day party to throw at Elizabeth's school and a birthday dinner planned for her, I asked to go home at 6am. Everyone thought I would be back before the end of the day, including myself. HA!
I took the day off work and raked and filled 25 bags of leaves before heading over to Elizabeth's school to conduct her class's Valentines Day party. Then, I went to daycare to attend Ava's and Casey's Valentines Day parties. My contractions continued throughout the day, but never became regular again. So, we invited our neighbors to celebrate Elizabeth's birthday with us at the Magic Time Machine. We figured it was the least we could do, since they watched our kids most of the night.
At this restaurant, the salad bar is in a car, the tables are all different themes, and the waiters dress as different characters, so the kids picked costumes also. Ava and our neighbor's daughter were princesses. Casey was a cowboy. Elizabeth was a rock star kitty cat. Don't ask where she comes up with these things. The kids enjoyed fuzzy potion drinks, fried goodness, and a brownie sundae. I enjoyed a margarita! Don't get me wrong, it was great to give Elizabeth her own special day, but it was frustrating not to have a baby today. (Once again my own fault, I could have taken the drugs and stayed.)
P.S. I have to mention that Elizabeth was a really good sport about not having a big birthday party this year due to the pending arrival of Baby Knight. Her response to our discussion was "Oh, I get it. I get to have a big birthday party every other year, so I will have a big party when I am 7."

No comments: