Friday, February 4, 2011

State of Emergency

Even with half a dozen days below freezing last year, we only saw a couple of flurries, and by a couple I really do mean two snow flakes. I was nothing like the mountains of snow that family received in the mid-Atlantic states. This year was shaping up to be similar. Lots of snow in the northeast and shorts and t-shirts in the middle of winter for Texas. Still, we had a few days below freezing and finally some moisture entered the air. Wallah! Snow! I have missed every time it has snow at our beach condo in North Carolina, but I did get to see snow in southern Texas. A whole .40 inches, as recorded at the airport a few miles from our house. All major highways were shut down for over 12 hours due to icy conditions. The airport closed for a few hours, and most airlines canceled San Antonio morning flights. We obviously don't have any plows or salt/cinder trucks here. Over 500 accidents were reported Friday morning, and it took Ryan over 2 hours to get home after working a night shift. The kids got a day off of school, but I only had a two hour delay. That became an issue because daycare was closed also, so I ended up taking a personal day to watch the kids. Elizabeth and Ava donned their warmest clothes and ventured into the dusting to jump on the trampoline and make snow balls. Thin blooded Casey deemed it too cold outside and quickly came back inside to enjoy a nice hot breakfast.
The snow play didn't last long, it was 60 degrees around lunch time.

No comments: