Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Speaking of Sleep Habits

This is from a couple of weeks ago, just prior to Ava's head scan. The imaging place suggested sleep depriving Ava prior to her CAT scan to make her more compliant to lay still. I was skeptical. I certainly didn't want to stay up all night and then go to work in the morning, and I thought she would end up more difficult because she was tired and cranky. In the end, I decided to shave a few hours off her normal 10-11 hours of sleep. I put the girls down at the same time, as not to get Elizabeth all riled up because Ava was getting special treatment. However, I went back in after the girls feel asleep to wake up Ava and let her stay up watching a movie until Daddy came home around midnight. Trying to get Ava up and out of bed was harder than I thought it was going to be. I pulled her out of her bed and set her on her feet. Immediately, she started circling like a dog looking to make a bed. Not finding her bed, she just laid down on the floor. Then she started pawing for her blanket. Not finding her blanket, she just gave up, stuck her thumb in her mouth and pretended to hold her blanket. All of this without opening her eyes. After taking this shot, I dragged her out of the room and fully woke her up. She and I watched Aladdin, but she didn't make it to the end. She did do a great job laying still in the "Ba-chine," but of course was cranky and fidgety while waiting for the disk of images.

No comments: