Monday, January 19, 2009

New Addition

I was waiting to share the news with all of you until the time was right. I wasn't sure they were going to make it, but now enough time has passed that I think things are going to be alright. No, I am not pregnant, but recently, we have adopted 3 fish into our household. One of the kids Christmas presents was a fish tank. Ryan's idea, not mine. I thought we had enough responsibility with three kids and a dog without adding fish to the mix, but he said the girls would enjoy them. He was right, and fortunately they seem to be a pretty hardy group and we haven't had to have any fishy funerals (yet). Due to Ryan's work schedule, I got take the kids fish shopping. Elizabeth picked out a big blue fish which she named St. Nicholas. He is always hanging out at the top of the fish tank looking for his next meal. Ava picked a medium sized pink fish which she calls Pinky. Her fish is a super fast swimmer and never stays still. We tried to get a green fish for Casey (his assigned color), but the pet store was out of green fish, so we took home a little tiny blue and red neon fish home and named Merlin. He is the most timid and hides most of the time. I also let the girls pick out a few decorations for their fish tank. True to form, Elizabeth picked out some blue plants and a pirate skull. Ava picked some pink plants and a pagoda, which she calls a castle. Since Casey couldn't have a green fish, Elizabeth picked out green frog statue for him.The girls were fighting over who got to feed the fish, so we worked out a schedule. Ava in the morning and Elizabeth in the evening, which I think is more than we remember to feed the dog some days. The girls get a kick out of watching their fish eat and swim around their watery play land. Slowly, Ryan is winning me over that the fish tank was a good present. Update: I wrote this entry on 1/19, but hadn't published it because I was slow in uploading some pictures to go with it. Around 1/24 we noticed that Merlin had pulled a vanishing act. After a thorough search of the tank, we came to the conclusion that most likely became dinner for St. Nicholas (aka Fatty Fish). So over the weekend, the girls and I picked out a new fish for Casey. This time they had some green ones, and we chose a slightly larger fish. Merlin II is about the same size at St. Nicholas. We are hoping that Pinkie is not now at the bottom of the food chain. I will keep you updated on how everything turns out in our 5 gallon fish tank.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

We have had a few of the "St.Nicholas" types. They can be hungry bastards. Top of the food chain, hungry bastards.
Good luck!